Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Redemption (The New Moon Walkthrough Ch. 24)

Late again, as usual. What's not so usual is the why this time. I know I've blamed being late on everything from losing the book, to school work, to some kind of vacation, but this time is truly different. This time someone sacrificed a goat to the Muses because in once chapter everything kind of worked itself out. The first thing we have to do is pay attention to the date and time. Because it's not day still.

Edward has done his not so creepy at all, stare at Bella while she sleeps and then they had a fight. A real fight, wherein Bella leaves the room saying that she is going to put it to a vote whether or not she gets turned into a vampire. Who is going to vote? Apparently the Cullens. That's where the previous chapter ended.

Here's where it gets weird: as absurd as that situation is, it somehow transitions into this chapter that actually is some decent writing. And no, it's not decent writing for this book, it's decent writing for any book. It's almost like the person who discovered Meyer was only given this chapter and then green lit the whole series...actually that would make a lot of sense. It would explain a hell of a lot that has been wrong with the previous story thus far. I'm sure she (I'm not looking her name up) just said to herself, "I'm sure if this is an example of the writing I don't even need to do my job, Ka Ching, im gonna be Oprah rich."

Bella sneaks out of the window of the house, apparently not giving much forethought to how she's going to actually get to the Cullens' place, and not really being clear on where they are staying (unless they've decided to kick out the meth addicts that for sure moved into their mansion). Edward follows her, and what's weird is that we're actually presented with Edward as not being described as being some sort of god-like epitome of beauty. He's just a guy, as far as the description is concerned.

He grabs her by the wrist, "Bella wait, I don't want you to do this."

He goes on for a long monologue here, strangely enough--it's good, but too long to quote. The whole thing is almost like our author became self aware of the numerous problems in the story and the relationship. Edward explains that Bella needs to wait (I admit that I did roll my eyes at the obvious sexual metaphor being presented) because she doesn't really understand what she wants. His explanation is exactly what I had been saying almost point for point: that Bella doesn't really grasp the blood lust, that the Cullens are unique and that those monsters she saw in Italy are the norm, that she'll miss dreaming and sleep. Finally and most surprisingly he even brings up the notion of death, and, "Think about it Bella, everything you know will all pass away. The forest may win or the forest may fail but if you get attached to any of it your life will be full of sadness. Think about what those Italian vampires have seen, the rise and fall of Rome, the rise and fall of the Vikings, the Arab conquests, WWI, WWII. Their lives are full of death, they will live until the age of Chthulu's return, their lives are full of death, as is mine. For selfish reasons, I can't doom you to this."

The last sentence is a little clunky but if I understand it right, he's saying that he can't turn her simply because he'll miss her. Huh!? That's actually...sweet. It's true as well, she doesn't get it--but I didn't think he did either. All of the talk used to center on souls and other metaphysically un-proven principles. Alright, I know what you are thinking, and it probably centers around some broken clock analogy. But then it gets weirder: "You're right."

Bella, gets it? Miss too cool for school, gets it. You may be thinking, well she's just listening to Edward like a good little subservient, but that's not it, and this time it's worth quoting in full, "You're absolutely right,' I paused and looked at him for once seeing not some marble statue but a person. Someone that I cared about...or did I? Before him, my life was bleak I hadn't any real friends or much of a social life. But ever since I got here it was almost like I was seeking the same thing. Maybe it was the familiarity with being an outsider that led me to seek something that I thought was too good for me. But now I didn't need that. Perhaps it was the near death experience that pierced the veil of ignorance that I had been living underneath, but now I didn't think I needed him, I was sure that I didn't even want him anymore. He had broken up with me to protect me!? It didn't make sense anymore, nothing about him made sense. I didn't love him, that's the true verdict--it was just infatuation.
-"I'm going back. Don't follow me, I'll call you tomorrow."


Did she just dump him? I mean, I get why, it makes sense almost too much sense for this character. I can't wait for the next chapter.










hee hee hee

No comments:

Post a Comment